Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Peyton's First Cardiology Appointment




We had Peyton's first cardiology appointment today and it went very well. We are using Dr. Matthew Brown who was recommended by the neonatologist at the hospital NICU. He diagnosed her as having a Ventricular Septal Defect or VSD. She also has Atrial Septal Defect that is very small and nothing to really worry about. His main focus is the VSD which is larger. As of now we are looking to do surgery at 6 months to a year old. At that time, she will have open heart surgery and a patch will be placed over the hole and eventually her own heart tissue will grow over the patch. It will be as if nothing was ever wrong. Dr. Brown wants to see her back in a month to see if there are any changes. At this time she is showing no signs or symptoms. I have found a website that explains better than I can about her heart condition. It also has video of how it affects the blood flow. http://www.kkh.com.sg/PatientHealthLibrary/ChildrensHealth/ChildhoodIllnesses/heart4.htm
This is the best site I have found to explain everything. I will update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment