To start the New Year off right, I printed an organizational calendar. Nerdy, I know, but it's awesome! Everyday it gives you one small area of your house to organize and by the end of the year you have
| Excuse the brown line. My OCD self thought it would be great idea to draw a straight line with a dry erase marker so the hooks would be straight....well, now it won't come off! |
Yesterday being the 1st, after church, I dutifully went to the calendar to see what my task was for the day.
Wait, that was not the task I was expecting! That threw me for a loop! At first I was excited about being off the hook, but then I really started to ponder the question. Who did I want to be? It is a new year, a new start...who did I want to be known as? The question stuck with me all day and I came up with 3 things:
#1. I want to be a fabulous mom
#2. I want to be an amazing wife
#3. I want to be a woman that fears and loves God
I know everyone wants to be those things, but most of us have them in the wrong order! In order to be an amazing wife and fabulous mom, I HAVE to love and fear God first! I am drawn to Proverbs 31:10-31 and the image of the woman it draws.
![]() |
| Most people picture Mrs. Cleaver when reading this. |
![]() |
| Instead, we should picture this... |
Proverbs 31:10-31
10-31 A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!
Most woman would say that that woman could never exist. But I think she does. I think God created us to be that woman. Maybe not in that exact way, I mean times have changed, but we can all embrace those attributes that will make us that woman.
So to answer the question on the organizational calendar....
I want to be a LOVER in 2012!
I want to love God more deeply, I want to love my husband more, and love my kids more.
| 1 Chorinthians 13:4-7 |
This picture sits on my mantel and I think today it has more meaning! It is a constant reminder of love and how we are to love another and ultimately how we are to love God.
So, as you make your way into the new year, ask yourself...
"Who do you want to be this year?"
Much Love!
Amy


Love it. I often get overwhelmed by the Proverb 31 woman...but it was pointed out to me this year that she wasn't necessarily all those things at once, but perhaps in different times of her life. Just thought I'd share. :)
ReplyDelete